(Fargo, ND) – After much anticipation and planning, the Sanford POWER Center is opening its doors today. This unique athletic-performance training facility will offer the all new Sanford POWER Hockey Academy and individualized true surface training in multiple sports.
One-on-one or group sports specific training will incorporate the latest in strength development, speed, agility, plyometrics and explosive power. The 24,000 square foot facility is located west of the Scheel’s Arena and east of the future Family Wellness (a partnership between Sanford Health and YMCA). The Sanford POWER Center project is a $2.5 million investment into the community.
“This facility is incredible. It provides a whole new venue of high intensity training on the surfaces they will actually be playing on for athletes of all ages & levels,” says Randy Martin, Director of Sanford POWER. “Everything about the POWER Center is unique – from the football turf, to the synthetic ice, to the integration of specialized services – each element will help launch athletes into that next level of performance.”
“We're redefining how hockey players prepare for competition. The innovative new Sanford POWER Hockey Academy incorporates all aspects of the game of hockey. In the past decade Fargo has become a hockey hot spot in the region. The Sanford POWER Hockey Academy will be a big part of the continued growth of hockey in Fargo/Moorhead," says Phil Faught, ATC (Fargo Force) and Director of Sanford POWER Hockey Academy.
The Sanford POWER Center will offer:
- Training techniques for safety and efficiency based on scientific principles supported by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and USA Weightlifting.
- Education on nutrition and hydration as key components to athletic greatness.
- Physical therapy with private rooms.
- 25 yards of artificial turf.
- Four 50-yard running lanes (one will feature incline). • Half basketball court.
- Strength (free-weights).
- Cardio equipment.
BLADE Hockey Treadmill connected to sheet of synthetic ice, which:
- Allows a controlled atmosphere.
- Coaches and POWER staff can easily communicate with skaters, providing constant instruction, evaluation and feedback to get results.
- Premier skating performance and developmental tool to practice crossovers, simulate skating into a corner and skating backwards.
- Ability to skate continuously for time or distance.
- Uses positive and negative elevation to develop speed and power.
- Convenient and accurate measurement of speed, distance and time.
- Develop hand/eye coordination while maintaining proper stride mechanics.
Sanford POWER Hockey Academy, which includes:
- An individualized program to help get players in optimal physical condition while also refining skills in the game.
- Athletes will train with short bouts of high speed skating, aggressive body contact and split second decision making to deliver explosive speed, agility and endurance.
- A specialized treadmill as well as a synthetic ice surface that creates situations and conditions similar to that which a player is accustomed. The hockey treadmill schedule will be structured around each player’s individual schedule and available during the pre- and post-seasons, as well as in season.
- Program will be taught by high level coaches reinforcing specific on-ice hockey skills along with specialized dryland training.
Sanford POWER is offered through Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine. The Fargo program is the second POWER Center opened by Sanford Health. The first opened in Sioux Falls, SD (August 2008) and given the success of this concept, Sanford hopes to open more in the future. This unique program combines the expertise of sports medicine, exercise physiology, physical therapy and sport specific skill development. The objective of the POWER program is to safely meet the training and physical conditioning needs of athletes at all levels. Training sessions are led by National Strength and Conditioning Association certified specialists. Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine provides sports medicine coverage, athletic training and performance improvement for area high schools, local colleges including NDSU, NDSCS, MSUM, Concordia and the local Tier I Junior Hockey team, Fargo Force.
Andrea Voorhees | Sanford Media Strategist | Fargo Region
701-200-6080 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Me @SanfordAndrea