(Fargo, ND) – Construction has begun on the new Sanford YMCA. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place Wednesday, September 22, at 10:30 a.m., 5225 31st Ave. S., Fargo. The site is located northwest of the Urban Plains Center in southwest Fargo. The project is an equal partnership between Sanford Health and the YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties.
This $12 million, 78,000-square-foot comprehensive fitness center is expected to serve 3,500 members and employ 30 people following the projected opening in October 2011. Zerr Berg Architects, Fargo, is the firm designing the facility. Gerhtz Construction Management, Fargo, is handling the construction of the facility.
“It is very exciting for us to begin construction on a facility with so many amenities and benefits under one roof. With the combination of aquatics, fitness, courts, group exercise and programs, this facility will truly offer something for everyone and every family in our community,” said Paul Finstad, president, YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties.
"This marks an exciting step forward in a growing area of our community with an outstanding and well-regarded partner," said Dennis Millirons, president, Sanford Medical Center Fargo. "Sanford is dedicated to the work of health and healing, and this project will provide a fabulous environment for helping people stay healthy for years to come."
- Because this is an equal partnership, the new facility will be an independent non-profit organization and a stand-alone facility. Memberships will be available to all community members. Current YMCA members will have access to the Sanford YMCA twelve times per year. Sanford YMCA members will have the same reciprocity at existing YMCA facilities in Fargo.
- Members of the Sanford YMCA will receive member rates on programs at any of the three YMCA sites, as well as membership in the AWAY program, which allows members to access YMCAs across the world while traveling.
- The timeline for the new site will be to hire a director approximately six months prior to the facility’s opening in October 2011. After a director is hired, additional staff will be brought on board.
- The partnership will provide more fitness opportunities for individuals and families. It enables both organizations to expand their core belief in the value of health, wellness and fitness as part of building the complete individual.
- Of 2,686 YMCAs nationwide 1,148 are collaborations with hospitals. Many health care organizations across the country have successfully partnered with local YMCA’s. Sanford Health has existing partnerships with YMCA’s in Sioux Falls, SD and Worthington, MN.
- Members will have the confidence in knowing they have the backing of a high level of medical expertise including direct access to physical therapists, exercise specialists, doctors and others.
- Sanford has housed fitness centers open to the public for more than 20 years. Sanford will close and move from its current 17,000-square-foot fitness center at Southpointe, 2400 32nd Ave, Fargo.