(Sioux Falls, SD) – Sanford Health announced today the hiring of Donald Warne, MD, MPH as the Director of the newly created Sanford Office of Native American Health.
“Dr. Warne brings a wealth of knowledge and leadership on Native American healthcare,” said David Link, Senior Executive Vice President of Sanford Health. “Don will be responsible for coordinating activities among Sanford Health, tribal communities and the Indian Health Service to facilitate improvement of Native American healthcare. These activities will focus on, but not be limited to healthcare delivery and healthcare research.”
Dr. Warne most recently served as s the Executive Director of the Aberdeen Area Tribal Chairmen’s Health Board in Rapid City. In addition, he is an adjunct clinical professor at the Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law where he teaches American Indian Health Policy. Dr. Warne is a member of the Oglala Lakota tribe from Pine Ridge, and comes from a long line of traditional healers and medicine men. He received his medical degree from Stanford University in 1995 and his Master of Public Health from Harvard University with a focus on health policy in 2002.
Dr. Warne is a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and he is a Diplomate of both the American Board of Family Practice and the American Board of Medical Acupuncture. He has completed fellowships in Alternative Medicine from the Arizona Center for Health and Medicine and in Minority Health Policy from Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Warne’s work experience includes several years as a primary care and integrative medicine physician with the Gila River Health Care Corporation in Sacaton, AZ and three years as a staff clinician with the National Institutes of Health in Phoenix where he conducted diabetes research and developed diabetes education and prevention programs in partnership with tribes.
Dr. Warne’s professional activities have included:
- Senior Fellow, American Indian Health Policy, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy, University of New Mexico
- Health Policy Research Director, Inter Tribal Council of Arizona
- President of the Board, Native American Community Health Center, Inc in Phoenix
- President and CEO, American Indian Health Management & Policy, Inc
- Member, Advisory Council on Indian Health Care, State of Arizona
- Chair, Traditional Cultural Advocacy Committee, Phoenix Indian Medical Center
- Co-Chair, Native Research Network
- Co-Chair, Bio-sciences Institutional Review Board, ASU
- Member, National Institutional Review Board, HIS
- Member, Board of Directors, Society of Shamanic Practitioners
- Member, Association of American Indian Physicians
Stacy Bauer Jones | Media Relations Manager | Sioux Falls Region
605-328-7056 or 605-366-2432 | firstname.lastname@example.org