(Sioux Falls, SD) –The Sanford Diabetes Program recently received the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Education Recognition Certificate for providing a quality Diabetes Self Management Education Program.
The Sanford Diabetes Self Management Education Program has been recognized since 1987, and for the last nine years, has provided the coordination, oversight and support for 12 locations throughout the Sanford Health system to achieve recognition. Each location provides diabetes education services to people in their region. Recognized locations include:
- Sanford USD Medical Center – Sioux Falls, SD
- Sanford Hospital Canton-Inwood – Canton, SD
- Sanford Luverne Medical Center – Luverne, MN
- Sanford Sheldon Medical Center – Sheldon, IA
- Sanford Regional Hospital Worthington – Worthington, MN
- Sanford Jackson Medical Center – Jackson, MN
- Sanford Merrill Medical Center – Rock Rapids, IA
- Sanford Tracy Medical Center – Tracy, MN
- Sanford Vermillion Medical Center – Vermillion, SD
- Murray County Medical Center – Slayton, MN
- Orange City Area Health System – Orange City, IA
- Pioneer Memorial Hospital – Viborg, SD
- Windom Area Hospital – Windom, MN
Each site attends quarterly meetings at Sanford to update knowledge, remain current on the standards of care and develop best practices through innovative ideas. The Diabetes Program Coordinator visits each location yearly to review data, outcomes and documentation.
To be recognized, each program must meet the National Standards for diabetes self-management education. These standards require that programs develop a process for the delivery of diabetes education that includes a standard curriculum and structure, employ qualified professionals who have specialized knowledge in diabetes, education and behavior change and monitor outcomes to continuously strive to improve care. Application for education recognition is every three years.
The American Diabetes Association is the nation’s leading non-profit health organization supporting diabetes research, advocacy and information for health professionals, patients and the public. Founded in 1940, the Association has an area office in every state and conducts programs in communities nationwide.
Stacy Bauer Jones | Media Relations Coordinator
(605) 328-7056 | firstname.lastname@example.org (605) 773-3361