MeritCare now employs all 58 Union Hospital employees plus additional employees were hired for MeritCare Home Care and MeritCare Therapy Services. MeritCare doctors and other providers continue to serve both the clinic and hospital, just as they have for many years.
Benefits of the MeritCare merger include working toward increasing efficiencies – like an attached clinic to the hospital, better use of physician time, and more efficient inventory processes.
Some specific examples include:
- Adding a new clinic to the hospital cuts duplication of services.
- Improved access to specialized medical and surgical specialties with core services of internal medicine, family medicine and pediatrics all under one roof.
- MeritCare's Electronic Medical Record available at the hospital.
- Upgraded CT Scanner (from 2-slice to 16-slice) for faster scan time, higher image quality and lower radiation dose for patients.
- Upgraded surgical equipment like new endoscopy scopes.
- Expansion of Home Health Services.
- Expansion of Therapy Services.
- MeritCare Healthcare Accessories products and supplies available in the form of nebulizers, oxygen equipment and supplies, orthopaedic soft goods and durable medical equipment.
- 25-bed critical access hospital founded in April 1898.
- Departments include: surgery, Home Health, therapies of physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, clinical laboratory, radiology and other imaging services, a certified level V emergency room, cardiac rehabilitation and respiratory therapy. Surgical specialties include ophthalmology, obstetrics/gynecology, and general urological, as well as, endoscope procedures.
- The Foundation will continue to serve the Mayville service area. All funds raised will remain local.