The study evaluated nearly 971 U.S. hospitals by analyzing publically available data for patients with heart failure and heart attacks and for those who received coronary bypass surgery or percutaneous cardiovascular interventions (PCI) such as angioplasties.
It's a challenge to achieve 100 Top Heart status because the measures and criteria change each year. Only one hospital in the nation has done better. For MeritCare to have received the honor 10 years is truly a mark of excellence. There are many honors/rankings available in the health care industry, some of which are marketing packages that may be purchased for a fee. The Thomson Reuters study is particularly prestigious because it is independent; those listed don't pay for this honor or the rights to use it.
The study notes that the 100 Top Heart Hospitals have set the new national standard for cardiovascular disease outcomes, process of care, efficiency and lower costs. For the thousands of heart patients that are cared for at MeritCare, this is important news.
MeritCare's Heart Center has the largest team of heart specialists in the region:
- 13 board-certified cardiologists, with specialists in interventional cardiology and electrophysiology.
- Three heart surgeons.
- Over 250 employees dedicated to heart care.
- The 100 Top Heart Hospital award winners had:
-Bypass surgery mortality rates that were 27 percent lower than peer hospitals.
-Costs that averaged about 12 percent less per case than peer hospitals.
- The study breaks the top 100 into three groups:
-Teaching hospitals with cardiovascular residency programs (there were 30 winners).
-Teaching hospitals without cardiovascular residency programs (there were 40 winners; MeritCare is in this category).
-Community hospitals (there were 30 winners).
- For more information about the study, visit 100tophospitals.com.
- For more information about MeritCare Heart Center, visit meritcare.com, keyword: heart.