The Wheels for the World campaign collects used wheelchairs, crutches, walkers and canes. These items are refurbished and sent to people all over the world who can't afford and/or don't have access to these quality of life items. Siegle says "We're fortunate in this part of the country to be able to impact people around the world and make a positive difference. The wheelchairs we collect will bring mobility to people, which will help them live fuller lives." She is proud of the support from the whole community.
- MeritCare is the primary local sponsor for Wheels for the World, along with 20 other local businesses who are providing support.
- This year's local Wheels for the World drive ran from Aug. 21-25.
- Since 2000, over 750 wheelchairs have been collected locally.
- To date, Wheels for the World has distributed over 35,000 wheelchairs to over 60 countries.
- "The World Health Organization estimates that there is a need for over 18 million wheelchairs around the world. In some of these countries the cost of a wheelchair can equal a year's wages, resulting in the impossibility for people affected by disability to ever receive one. [People are] Living in isolation, lacking simple mobility and cut off from life…" (from wheelsfortheworld.org)