Managing concussions can be tricky. We provide information for athletes, parents, and coaches on concussions to help them recognize the injury and respond appropriately. Following a concussion, guidance is provided to make necessary modifications to daily routines such as school, work and activities to ensure they receive adequate rest.
Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine provides concussion management and education for competitive and recreational athletes or others who participate in activities that may pose risk for concussion. The program includes:
- Thorough evaluation by a sports medicine physician with specialty training in the diagnosis and management of concussions
- Computerized Brain Function Testing (ImPACT©) and Clinical Balance Testing
- Individualized Concussion Management and Return-to-Play Plan
- Education resources for young athletes, parents, coaches, and health care professionals
- Clinical Baseline ImPACT Testing: This test serves as a comparison for any potential changes or damage cause by a concussive blow to the head. If a head injury is sustained, the athlete's post-injury tests will be compared to this baseline. To schedule a baseline test for your athlete, please contact our office at 605-328-2663.
For more information regarding the Sports Concussion Program at Sanford Orthopedics & Sports Medicine: