Kevin Benson, MD | (605) 328-8750
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (Rapid City, SD)
University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
University of South Dakota School of Medicine,
Master of Science Basic Biomedical Sciences and Research
University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
Obstetrics and Gynecology: University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics (Madison, WI)
Extensive experience throughout U.S. and abroad collaborating with thought leaders in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and
Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery (FPMRS)
Areas of Expertise
- Evaluation and management of urinary incontinence, including stress urinary incontinence, urinary urge incontinence, overactive bladder.
- Urodynamic evaluation of patients with incontinence and voiding dysfunction.
- Surgical treatment of incontinence including midurethral slings, pubovaginal slings, and urethral bulking agensts.
- Evaluation and management of pelvic organ prolapse (fallen bladder, uterus, rectum)
- Surgical correction of pelvic organ prolapse including cystocele, rectocele repair, respension of vaginal including use of native tissues, augmented repairs using synthetic and biologics grafts.
- Evaluation and management of chronic pelvic pain, including levator myalgia, Interstitial cystitis, painful bladder syndrome, pudendal neuralgia.
- Management options including muscle injections, sacral and pudendal neuromodulation, medication management and integration with psychatry physical therapy and other services.
- Evaluation and management of fecal incontinence, chronic constipaiton and obstructed defecation.
- Evaluation including endoanal ultrasound, anal manometry and pudendal nerve motor latency testing.
- Treatment options including anal sphincterplasty, rectal bulking, sacral and pudendal neuromodulation, Biofeedback and other physcial therapy modalities.
- Evaluation and treatment of Interstital cystitis and painful bladder syndrome.
- Evaluation including cystoscopy and hydrodistention, Treatment options including bladder instillations, medication management, Sacral and pudendal nueromodulation. Bladder Botox injections.
- Evaluation and treatment of chronic vulvar conditions including atrophy, lichen sclerosis, vaginal discharge, and painful intercourse.
- Evaluation and management of complications associated with vaginal mesh procedures Evaluation and management of painful intercourse.
Unique Medical Experience and Research
Memberships & Certifications
- Masters Degree Basic Biomedical Science and Research
- Board Eligible Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- National Educator and Researcher in area of Sacral Neuromodulation
- National speaker pelvic floor dysfunction
- Member American Urogynecological Society (AUGS)
- Member Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU)
- Member North American Neuromodulation Society (NANS)
- Member International Pelvic Pain Society (IPPS)
- AUGS grant reviewer for neuromodulation
- SD State Chair, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Past District Chair Junior Fellows American College of Ob/Gyn
- Past Chair ACOG committee on Indian Affairs
- Member Central Association of OB/GYN
- Co-Founder, Sanford Native American Pelvic Health Fund
- Ongoing clinical trials investigating new therapies for pelvic floor dysfunction
NIH funded five year grant ($900,000) investigating incontince of Native Americans (IINA)
Investigation of differential genetic expression of RNA in patients with Interstitial Cystitis
Use of a Cox-2 inhibitor for preemptive management of postoperative pain after urogyneocologic procedures
- Postoperative vaginal dilator therapy for dysparuenia (painful intercourse) after mesh augmented vaginal prolapse surgery
- Incontinence Inventory of Native Americans(IINA) this is a longitudinal study looking at rates of incontinence and pelvic floor disorders (PFD) in Native Americans of the Northern Plains
- Development of a credentialed training program for training physicians in cystoscopy (bladder inspection using a scope)
Lead Physician Sanford Health System Women's Health Department
Hobbies and Personal InterestsBeing outdoors, spending time with family, woodworking
AwardsOne of only two physicians in the Sanford Health System Board Eligible in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (Subspecialty of OB/GYN dedicated to treatment of pelvic floor disorders)
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
M–Th: 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
F: 8:00 AM–3:00 PM