If you are interested in making a positive impact on other people's lives, you'll enjoy volunteering at Sanford Health. Each day our entire team of volunteers stands side by side with medical personnel and non-medical staff working united in the goal of improving the human condition through exceptional care, innovation and discovery.
Student Volunteer Scholarship Application
We require that:
- Volunteers are at least 16 years old, some positions require a minimum age of 19 years old.
- Able to communicate clearly in English.
- We cannot accept volunteers who are meeting court-mandated community service hours.
We require volunteers to complete the following qualification process:
- Phone interview
- Criminal background check
- Updated vaccination record including MMR, Chicken Pox, Hepatits B, Tdap, and TB
- Orientation– 2 hour session which will be scheduled during the interview
- Department Orientation – scheduled once all of the above is completed and paper work returned to the Volunteer Office
Our patients and families deserve the very best. We need people who:
- Display competency (can learn the position and remember the details).
- Are compassionate (understand the stress of a hospitalization).
- Defend a patient's right to privacy (our volunteers are held to a strict code of confidentiality).
- Are respectful (we serve all walks of life, economic status and an increasingly diverse population).
Due to the time and expenses involved in the start up of each new volunteer, we do require individuals to commit to one of our three program options:
FULL YEAR PROGRAM
Our full year program is for individuals who commit to volunteering for a full year (12 months) or longer. Individuals are required to commit to volunteering a minimum of two or more shifts each month. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week.
Our summer program begins in June and runs through mid/late August. Individuals are required to commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week. Application deadline is May 1.
**Summer program volunteers are required to pay a $20 uniform and badge deposit. The deposit will be returned in full when the volunteer fulfills his or her commitment and returns the badge and uniform to volunteer services.**
SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM
Our school year program is divided into two semesters:
- Fall Semester - September - December. Applications are due by August 15. Individuals are required to commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week.
- Spring Semester - January - May. Applications are due by December 15. Individuals are required to commit to one shift per week. Shifts are 3-4 hours in length and the same shift each week.
**School year program volunteers are required to pay a $20 uniform and badge deposit. The deposit will be returned in full when the volunteer fulfills his or her commitment and returns the badge and uniform to volunteer services.**
STUDENT VOLUNTEER PERK
Sanford USD Medical Center Volunteer Advisory Board provides up to five $2,000 and up to five $1,000 scholarships for student volunteers. The Health Career Scholarship was created to benefit student volunteers enrolled in a health career programs. These scholarships are possible from funds generously given by the Sanford Gift Shop. Student volunteers who have met the hourly volunteer requirement and have shown dedication to their volunteer position can apply. Please print and complete the scholarship application from the link above and return to the Volunteer Office. Scholarship applications are also available by contacting Volunteer Services
For more information about volunteering at Sanford Health in the Sioux Falls region, please contact our Volunteer Services:
Sanford Volunteer Services: Sioux Falls, SD
1305 West 18th Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5039
605-333-6374 or 605-333-6303