The Sanford Health Summer E program provides the nursing extern an opportunity to:
- Gain experience and skill within actual patient care situations, clinical simulation and classroom sessions.
- Work in partnership with an RN preceptor serving as a personal clinical coach.
- Foster the extern's level of competence and confidence.
- Develop interpersonal, critical thinking, and technical nursing skills, including medication administration.
- Network with peers from other colleges and universities regionally and nationally.
The ten-week program will begin in May 22, 2017. To be eligible, you must:
- Be currently enrolled and within one year of graduating from an accredited nursing program.
- Anticipated date of graduation December 2017 or May 2018.
- BSN/BAN required for placement at SMC Sioux Falls.
- ADN/ASN considered for Sanford Health Network.
- Meet Sanford Health's job-related health requirements.
- Provide proof of current certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers from the American Heart Association.
- Receive satisfactory references.
Complete Sanford Health employee on-line application form.
- Provide name and email address of two (2) references from current Nursing faculty instructors.
- If employed by a Sanford Health facility, your current supervisor will be contacted.
- Notify your references to anticipate and accept an email from Sanford Health to complete the on-line reference form.
- Upload an unofficial transcript and a copy of your current CPR card with your application.
- Must be a Healthcare Provider card from the American Heart Association.
- If selected to participate in the program an official transcript from the college or university in which you are currently enrolled will be required.
- Obtain transcript from your school registrar with official seal.
- All interviews will be conducted via Skype.
- Applications will be accepted through Friday, October 14, 2016 at 5 p.m.
- Interviews will be conducted the end of October, beginning of November 2016 via Skype.
- Offers will be extended via phone to those selected for the program upon the conclusion of interview, followed with a confirmation offer letter.
Orientation is provided in May to acclimate you to the Sioux Falls Sanford Health or Sioux Falls Region Network site and your assigned unit.
Externs are expected to:
- Work full-time (36-40 hours), including nights, weekends, holidays and 8-, 10-, or 12-hour shifts for 10 consecutive weeks. Additional opportunities for observation outside your assigned department are provided.
- Participate in required classroom sessions. Optional college credit is available through a partnership with a local college.
Upon selection into the program, you will be notified of your work unit/department assignment. Click here to view the department assignments.
You will receive your preceptor contact information in late March or early April.
Program participation provides you:
- Sanford Health 401k retirement as a PRN employee
- Worker's compensation insurance coverage
- Sanford Health email
- Wegner Library resources
- Sanford Perks (Discounted tickets to local merchants and activities in Sioux Falls and surrounding area)
Housing is not provided. If you should require assistance securing housing, please contact local colleges or universities, as they often rent space to students over the summer.