Thank you for your interest in our Child Life Internship! Sanford Children's Child Life Program offers a 14 week internship that currently is offered in the fall semester. While our internship is highly competitive, we encourage you to explore the profession of Child Life and to please read the following information regarding the internship process very carefully.
- Curriculum standards are outlined by the Child Life Council
- Internship is full-time (40 hours per week) and an unpaid position
- 560 hours is required equivalent to approximately 14 weeks
- One internship position per year/fall semester (September-December) Application process opens in January, closes in March (CLC timeline recommendations)
Requirements to apply:
- Core curriculum classes or degree in child life, child development or a closely related field
- Preferred student or work experience with children in group settings, including health care environments
- Preferred practicum experience and knowledge of psychosocial issues related to illness or hospitalization
- Grade point average of a B or better in major field of study
- Student is preferred to be currently affiliated with a university during internship
To apply for our Child Life Internship:
- Child Life Council's common child life internship application
- Official transcripts (both undergraduate and graduate, if applicable)
- Two letters of recommendations
- Application for the fall semester is due by March 15th
For further internship questions, please call 605-312-1936.
Completed applications can be sent to:
Carrie Kindopp, Child Life Manager
Sanford Children’s Hospital
1305 W. 18th St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57117