Hospital chaplains are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for patients and their loved ones who desire spiritual support, comfort, and guidance.Chaplains offer supportive spiritual care to all people while respecting cultural differences, beliefs, and traditions.
Hospital chaplains are an important part of the health care team and work closely with hospital staff to provide spiritual care including:
- Attending to the spiritual and emotional well-being of patients and their families.
- Listening to and assisting patients in making meaning of their health care experience.
- Providing spiritual support, guidance, prayer, devotions, and rituals.
- Offering compassion in the midst of injury, illness, and life changes.
- Collaborating with local clergy and places of worship.
- Providing emotional and spiritual support for hospital staff.
When to call a Chaplain
Hospital Chaplains are available to provide support during times of
- Grief and loss
- Anxiety and fear
- Guilt and forgiveness
- Death and dying
- Lonely or discouraged
- Crisis and trauma
- Doubts and despair
- When God seems distant
- Happiness or feeling blessed
Spiritual care resources
The Spiritual Care Department offers:
- Prayer and Scripture reading
- Worship and Memorial services
- Eucharistic Minister visits
- Bibles provided by the Gideons
- Devotional Resources
- Pre and post-surgery visits
- Administration of the sacraments/ordinances
- Daily Devotions on the patient room phone (x8787)
- Care notes for comfort and inspiration
- Non-denominational Chapel (1st floor, open 24 hours daily)
- Support and assistance for clergy
Your church or faith group is welcome to visit you while in the hospital. We encourage you to notify them that you are hospitalized or prior to your hospitalization so that your own spiritual leaders can visit you.
The hospital chapel is located on the first floor of the hospital and is open seven days per week, 24 hours a day. People from all faith backgrounds are welcome to visit the chapel for private prayer, meditation, or reflection.
How to contact a Chaplain
A Chaplain can be contacted by asking one of the hospital staff to page a chaplain or by calling the main switchboard of the hospital at (701) 323-6000. The Manager of the Spiritual Care Department can be reached by calling (701) 323-2963.