Why Choose Sanford Health
Many places today provide weight-loss surgery, but how do you judge quality? How do you know which program offers the complete care you need for lifelong success?
Since 2003, The Sanford Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program has been a designated bariatric surgery center through the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). Sanford has passed rigorous standards, proving its ability to provide safe, effective weight-loss surgery, and a comprehensive program to ensure patient success.
Accreditation helps patients better identify programs with proven quality. In addition, it guides government agencies and insurance companies in making coverage decisions.
The ASMBS sets the bar high in evaluating and inspecting weight-loss surgery programs. Programs must show:
- A team approach including expertise in nutrition, mental health, nursing, exercise and more.
- Compassion and commitment in caring for people who struggle with severe obesity.
- Surgeons who devote the majority of their practice to weight-loss surgery.
- Proper training and experience of the entire team – surgeons and staff.
- Correct supplies and equipment to ensure safe care at all times.
- Excellent education and support for patients to ensure long-term success.
- High volume of successful surgeries and patient outcomes.
What to Expect at Sanford Health
Sanford's team of experts walks you through each step of the weight-loss surgery journey, from the moment you make your decision to years after your surgery. Sanford's program includes:
- Bariatric surgeons with 24-hour availability.
- Consultations with dieticians, exercise physiologists and psychologists.
- Support for lifelong success such as the Sanford Weight Loss Surgery Support Group, Back on Track Classes, and referrals as needed to the bariatric dietician, exercise physiologist, or psychologist.
What Results Can You Expect?
Sanford has extensive experience in weight-loss surgery. In the past 30 years, more than 5000 bariatric surgeries have been performed. Short and long-term results have been diligently tracked. Among the findings:
- Patients may successfully lose an average of 60-80 percent of their excess body weight in the first 12 to 18 months, depending on the surgical procedure.
- For example, if you weigh 300 pounds and your ideal body weight is 150 pounds, your “expected result” would be as follows:
- For 80% of excess weight loss, you would lose 120 pounds, ending at approximately 180 pounds.
- For 60% of excess weight loss you would lose 90 pounds, ending at approximately 240 pounds.
- Three to five years after surgery, patients regain an average of 6 percent of their weight. The patient above who lost 180 pounds, for example, will regain 20 pounds for an average permanent weight loss of 160 pounds.
- Patients indicate they have been very satisfied with weight-loss surgery at Sanford. Not only do most say they would do it again, but most say they wish they would have done it sooner!
- Sanford's survival rate is greater than 99.9 percent, which compares very favorably to the national average of 98 to 99 percent.
Health Problem Resolution or Reduction
Weight loss surgery and subsequent weight loss has been shown to significantly reduce or resolve 30 major obesity related health conditions. According to a major study published in the Journal of American Medicine (JAMA), bariatric surgery patient showed improvement in the following metabolic conditions:
- Type II diabetes remission in 76.8% of patients and significantly improved in 86% of patients
- Hypertension eliminated in 61.7% and improved in 78.5% of patients
- High cholesterol reduced in more than 70% of patients
- Sleep apnea was eliminated in 85.7% of patients
- In addition, joint disease and problems, asthma, gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), heart disease, stress urinary incontinence, infertility and other weight related health problems can also dramatically improved or resolved.
Improvements in Quality and Length of Life
- Individuals who undergo bariatric surgery and subsequent weight loss usually experience significant improvements in quality of life and body image after bariatric surgery in addition to living a longer, healthier life free from obesity.
You've thought long and hard about it and you've decided weight-loss surgery offers your best hope in the battle against obesity. What's your next step in this life-changing journey? Learn more about weight-loss surgery and how to get started. If you are interested in attending a free informational seminar, please click here to learn more about the upcoming dates and times.
If you would like additional information, please call to arrange a consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons at (605) 328-3840 or (800) 727-0670, or click here to request more information online.