Qualifying for Weight Loss Surgery
Are you a candidate?
Surgery is not for everyone, if your BMI is 35 or greater and you have a chronic disease related to weight, you may be a candidate. If your BMI is 40 or above, you may qualify for bariatric surgery without associated health problems.
Your success also depends on behavior and lifestyle modifications. At Sanford, we ask that you as a patient promise to:
- Make a commitment to change your lifestyle which includes a healthy diet, exercise, and behavior modification.
- Keep your post operative appointments with the dietitian.
- Keep us informed of your change of address and phone numbers for your lifetime – keep in touch!
- Attend support group meetings.
- Engage in regular exercise for 30-45 minutes five to six times a week – for life.
- Take the recommend supplements every day – for life.
- Get psychological counseling if your doctor recommends it.
- Come and see us in the future if your weight maintenance becomes unsatisfactory.
- Notify us if you've been hospitalized for problems related to your surgery.
Insurance & Financing
Will insurance cover your weight-loss surgery? What are the next steps? Take peace of mind knowing that Sanford is the only program in the region to offer a patient navigator to help guide and assist you through the entire pre-surgery process. Learn more.
If you would like additional information, please call to arrange a consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons at (605) 328-3840 or (800) 727-0670, or click here to request more information online.