Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®
Many places today provide weight-loss surgery, but how do you judge quality? How do you know which program offers the complete care you need for lifelong success?
Since 2006 Sanford Weight Loss Surgery Program has been designated a Bariatric Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). Sanford is a MBSAQIP Accredited Center for weight loss surgery.
This national designation helps patients better identify programs with proven quality. In addition, it guides government agencies and insurance companies in making coverage decisions.
The ASMBS sets the bar high in evaluating and inspecting weight-loss surgery programs. Programs must show:
- A team approach including expertise in nutrition, mental health, nursing, exercise and more.
- Compassion and commitment in caring for people who struggle with severe obesity.
- Surgeons who devote the majority of their practice to weight-loss surgery.
- Proper training and experience of the entire team – surgeons and staff.
- Correct supplies and equipment to ensure safe care at all times.
- Excellent education and support for patients to ensure long-term success.
- High volume of successful surgeries and patient outcomes.
What to Expect at Sanford Health
Sanford's team of experts walks you through each step of the weight-loss surgery journey, from the moment you make your decision to years after your surgery. Sanford's program includes:
- Bariatric surgeons with 24-hour availability.
- Individualized consultations with dieticians, exercise physiologists and psychologists.
- Support groups for lifelong success such as the Weight Loss Surgery Support Group, Next Step program and Living Well Workshops.
What Results Can You Expect?
Sanford has extensive experience in weight-loss surgery. In the past 27 years, more than 4,000 gastric bypass surgeries have been performed. Short and long-term results have been diligently tracked. Among the findings:
- Patients successfully lose an average of 60 percent pre-operative weight in the first 12 to 18 months. A 300-pounds patient, for example, will lose an average of 180 pounds.
- Three to five years after surgery, patients regain an average of 6 percent of their weight. The patient above who lost 180 pounds, for example, will regain 20 pounds for an average permanent weight loss of 160 pounds.
- Patients indicate they have been very satisfied with weight-loss surgery at Sanford. Most say they would do it again and would recommend it to a friend.
- Sanford's survival rate is greater than 99.9 percent, which compares very favorably to the national average of 98 to 99 percent.
Your Weight Loss Team
Your journey will include several key passages: an initial consultation, months of education and preparation, surgery and recovery, and finally a new, healthy way of life. At every step of the way, you'll meet specifically trained professionals who will work with you. All share a common goal: your lifelong success. View your weight-loss team members.
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call 701-234-4111.