Instruction in HypnoBirthing helps women and their childbirth companions learn relaxation techniques to help them overcome the feelings of fear, tension and pain associated with childbirth and replace them with feelings of calm and comfort.
HypnoBirthing techniques reinforce that birth is a normal, natural process – and gives women guided imagery, visualization and special breathing techniques to use during and after birth. The techniques reinforce a woman's ability to remain calm and work in harmony with her mind and body throughout labor. The goal is to replace stress hormones with natural endorphins that relieve pain and promote relaxation.
A woman using HypnoBirthing techniques is not in a trance during birth, instead she is highly focused and alert, allowing her to be fully engaged in the birthing experience.
The advantages of HypnoBirthing include:
- Reducing the cycle of fear-tension-pain before, during and after birth.
- Reducing the need for pain medication.
- Shortening the first stage of labor by several hours.
- Decreasing fatigue, leaving the mother fresh, awake and with energy for birth.
- Decreasing the risk of hyperventilation from “shallow” breathing methods.
- Promoting special bonding of mother, baby and birth companion.
- Speeding up postnatal recovery.
- Creating an integral role for the birth companion.
HypnoBirthing techniques can help a mom-to-be feel confident and prepared for her birth experience.
When Melinda Wood delivered her second baby, HypnoBirthing classes helped prepare this Sioux Falls mom for a calm, comfortable labor and delivery.Learn More