If you are experiencing a medical emergency please dial 911 immediately
Asbestos is a substance that was used in building materials. The substance can enter the body by being inhaled or swallowed. The substance attaches to the lining of the respiratory and digestive tracts. Contact with asbestos over time has been linked with cancer.
Most contact with asbestos is work-related. Some older homes may still have asbestos insulation. Government environmental offices have information on safety for asbestos contact and removal.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Peter Rabinowitz, MD, MPH - Occupational and Environmental Medicine|
|Last Revised||September 23, 2011|
Last Revised: September 23, 2011
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.