If you are experiencing a medical emergency please dial 911 immediately
When mercury builds up to toxic levels in the human body, it can cause permanent neurological damage. If you are pregnant, mercury is dangerous to your developing fetus and later to your breast-feeding baby. A fetus exposed to mercury during pregnancy is especially likely to suffer mild to severe nervous system damage. In the same way, young children who eat a lot of fish containing mercury can suffer permanent brain damage.
Mercury occurs naturally in the environment and also as a result of industrial pollution. It is in our water, air, soil, and food. Fish are the most common source of mercury in the human diet. You can best protect your child from mercury exposure by avoiding high-mercury fish before and during pregnancy and when breast-feeding and choosing foods for your young child.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have issued the following advisory for pregnant women, women of childbearing age, nursing mothers, and young children:1
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 oz (170 g) a week (one average meal) of fish caught from local waters, but don't eat any other fish during that week. Also check the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website for mercury advisory updates at www.epa.gov/waterscience/fish/advice.
Mercury will slowly leave the body over time in the urine, feces, and breast milk. If you are concerned about your own or your child's mercury level, talk to your doctor or local health department about testing.
Last Revised: July 23, 2012
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.