My Sanford Chart allows you secure online access to your personal health information and your child's health information. It's available anywhere you have internet access. There is no cost to you and registering is quick and simple.

Sign Up for My Sanford Chart
Babysitting: Dealing With Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac

When someone has a physical reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac, it's because of the oil in the plants, which can cause an allergic rash and other symptoms.

Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:

  • an itchy red rash
  • blisters that ooze clear fluid
  • bumps and blisters that may be different sizes and look like streaks on the skin

Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:

  • difficulty breathing or wheezing
  • chest tightness
  • swelling of the tongue or throat

Call 911 immediately, and then the child's parents, if a child has a severe allergic reaction.

What to Do

If a child has a mild allergic reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac:

  • Immediately remove any clothing that has touched the plant or the rash. Put contaminated clothing aside and let the parents know when they get home.
  • Gently wash the child's skin.
  • Scrub under the child's fingernails with soap and water.
  • Place cool compresses on the child's skin if he or she starts scratching the affected area.

To help prevent contact with and reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac:

  • Make sure that kids wear pants and long-sleeved shirts when playing close to plants that may be poison ivy/oak/sumac.
  • Have kids wash their hands after playing outside.

Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: January 2011

Kids Health

Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.