How Can I Get The Pill If I Don't Have a Family Doctor?

If I don't have a family doctor and only have my ADHD doctor, how can I get on the Pill without my parents knowing?
– MJ*

Surprisingly, lots of parents are more open to discussing sex and birth control than people think — starting the conversation is the most difficult part since it can seem so awkward and embarrassing.

If you can't talk to your folks, though, you can still get the Pill (or other forms of birth control) from a health clinic like Planned Parenthood. Health clinics can also give you additional advice, like protecting against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) by using a condom every time you have sex.

Specialty doctors like your ADHD doc are great at treating people for specific health conditions. But specialists are just that — they focus on one area of a person's health. As you grow and mature, you need a doc who sees the entire picture and can offer you advice on staying healthy overall, whether it's getting enough sleep for your age or reducing the stress of school.

So ask your mom or dad if you can see an adolescent health doctor (a general health doctor who focuses on teens), pediatrician, or family practitioner. In addition to offering advice on your changing body, he or she can also prescribe birth control pills and give you confidential information on sex. Your ADHD doctor or school nurse may be able to give you the name of a health practitioner.

Reviewed by: Larissa Hirsch, MD
Date reviewed: April 2009

Have a question? Ask the experts

* Names have been changed to protect user privacy.

Kids Health

Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.

© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.