Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Hass avocado, flesh only
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 c. + 2 tbsp. evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine cocoa, avocado, dates, and vanilla in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk until desired consistency.
- Chill before serving, if desired.
Note: The amount of evaporated skim milk needed may vary, depending on the size of the avocado used.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: about 1/3 c.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
7 g protein
8 g fat
1 g sat. fat
47 g carbohydrate
9 g fiber
2 mg cholesterol
50 mg sodium
152 mg calcium
4 mg iron
51 mcg folic acid
Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This no-guilt, no-cook, high-fiber, low-fat dessert is an excellent source of iron and fiber, and a good source of protein, calcium, vitamin K, riboflavin, vitamin B6, and folic acid, all of which are important nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.