Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 1 hour, including cooking time
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 12 oz. shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- one package no-boil lasagna noodles
- Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray; preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit (190º Celsius).
- Brown turkey with olive oil and garlic.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt/pepper, and seasoning.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- To assemble lasagna:
- add small amount of sauce to bottom of pan
- layer noodles to cover bottom of baking dish
- add some ricotta and mozzarella
- add tomato/meat sauce
- sprinkle with parmesan
- repeat with two more layers of noodles, ending with tomato/meat sauce and parmesan as top layer
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Makes: 9 servings
Serving size: 1/9 lasagna
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
33 g protein
14 g fat
5 g sat. fat
18 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
800 mg sodium
325 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin A, and calcium, which are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.