Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 3 oz. canned white meat chicken, packed in water
- 1 tsp. light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. chopped onion
- 1 slice 2% American cheese
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread (at least 3 g fiber/slice)
- Mix chicken with mayo and onion.
- Toast the bread.
- Add chicken to one bread slice; top with cheese slice and other bread slice.
- Wrap sandwich in paper towel and microwave 10 seconds or until cheese melts.
Makes: 1 sandwich
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
34 g protein
8.5 g fat
0.5 g sat. fat
26 g carbohydrate
7 g fiber
62 mg cholesterol
943 mg sodium
46 mg calcium
2 mg iron
52 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein and selenium, and a good source of riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, and folic acid, all important nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.