Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 25 minutes, including cook time
- 2 c. raw, broccoli florets, 1/4" chopped
- 2 c. shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1-lb. bag of whole-wheat pizza dough
- 8 oz. packaged, cooked, grilled chicken breast, 1/4" diced
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Flour work surface.
- Divide dough into four equal parts; roll out one part at a time into a rectangle.
- To assemble each pocket: On one half of dough add 1/2 c. broccoli, 1/2 c. shredded cheese, and 1/2 c. diced chicken breast.
- Fold other half of dough over top of filling to form pocket; cut small hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- Place pockets on non-stick baking sheet; bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown (check instructions on pizza dough; baking temperatures may vary depending on brand used).
Makes: 4 pockets
Serving size: 1 pocket
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
35 g protein
16 g fat
7 g sat. fat
47 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
75 mg cholesterol
1400 mg sodium
417 mg calcium
1 mg iron
25 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and vitamins A and C, all of which are essential during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.