Why you need saliva to taste foods. In order for food to have taste, chemicals from the food must first dissolve in saliva. Once dissolved, the chemicals can be detected by receptors on taste buds.
- A friend or two
- Paper towels
- Foods to taste (cookies, crackers, pretzels, or other dry food)
- Drinking water for everyone
- Use a clean paper towel to dry off your tongue.
- Taste each food, one by one. How does it taste?
- Have a drink of water.
- Taste each food again, letting your saliva do its magic!
Reviewed by: Eric H. Chudler, PhD
Date reviewed: August 2011
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.