Note: This recipe is for people following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet, but may include ingredients such as dairy or other animal-based products that wouldn't fit in with vegan or some vegetarian diets.
This is a scrumptious and easy recipe. If you have leftovers, consider serving the beans on a salad the next day.
Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- 1/2 c. frozen corn niblets, thawed
- 1 c. hot cooked rice
- 1/4 c. jalapeño jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Sauté 3/4 cup onions, garlic, and bay leaves in oil.
- Add black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and corn.
- Simmer until heated through and flavors meld.
- Make a mold of cooked rice on a platter.
- Pour bean mixture over the rice.
- Garnish with 1/4 cup chopped onions.
- Sprinkle cheese over the beans.
Serving size: 1/4 cup rice and 11/4 cup beans
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
15 g protein
3 g fat
2 g sat. fat
55 g carbohydrate
12 g fiber
8 mg cholesterol
765 mg sodium
157 mg calcium
3.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you do not have canned tomatoes, try using salsa. Add sliced red peppers.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.