Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid foods that contain gluten, which is a type of protein found in many foods.
This dish takes a while to cook, but it's easy to put together.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb. lean ground turkey
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 c. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 3/4 c. light cheddar cheese, shredded
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart casserole pan
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- In a large skillet, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook until browned. Drain excess fat from turkey.
- Pour tomato sauce, corn, and milk into the skillet.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir in cornmeal and chili powder.
- Pour into well-greased 2-quart casserole pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese over the dish.
- It's ready when a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
26 g protein
13 g fat
4 g sat. fat
28 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
722 mg sodium
393 mg calcium
2.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.