Note: This recipe is especially for kids who need a gluten-free diet. Kids who need a gluten-free diet must avoid foods that contain gluten, which is a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 c. grated raw potatoes
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. margarine, melted
- 3/4 c. cooked light ground sausage
- 1/3 c. light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425º F (218º C).
- Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix potatoes and chopped onion.
- Press potato mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
- Pour margarine evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Spread cooked sausage evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle cheeses evenly over the sausage.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, and spices.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the cheeses.
- Lower oven temperature to 350º F (176º C). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and knife inserted comes out clean.
Serving size: 1/6 of casserole
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
13 g fat
5 g sat. fat
14 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
171 mg cholesterol
423 mg sodium
164 mg calcium
1.1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't like sausage, use cooked ham. Instead of grating the potatoes yourself, you can use frozen hash browns that you know are not coated with wheat flour.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.