Note: This recipe is especially for teens with diabetes, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet. Teens with diabetes may need to pay extra attention to the amount of carbohydrates they eat to maintain control of their blood sugar levels.
This is a sandwich you can make ahead of time and take along with you. It's packed with protein and has only 2 carbohydrate exchanges.
Prep time: 10 minutes
whole wheat tortilla, low fat, 7" diameter
2 tbsp. light cream cheese
1 oz. lean and low-sodium turkey slice
1 oz. lean and low-sodium ham slice
1 oz. Swiss cheese slice
1 iceberg lettuce leaf
2-3 tomato slices
- Place tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread cream cheese on one side of tortilla.
- Lay the lettuce, turkey, ham, Swiss cheese, and tomato on top of the cream cheese on the tortilla (flat).
- Bring the sides of the wrap in and then roll up in the shape of a cylinder.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, slice wraps in half and remove plastic wrap.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
25 g protein
17 g fat
10 g sat. fat
33 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
64 mg cholesterol
1083 mg sodium
338 mg calcium
1 mg iron
2 carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of meats with little effect on carbohydrate content.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.