Note: This recipe is especially for kids with diabetes, but would be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
This is a quick and easy-to-make afterschool snack. Try adding ham or chicken as a topping for added protein!
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 whole wheat English muffin
- 2 tbsp. no added sodium tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. tomato, diced
- Preheat broiler.
- Place English muffin on a small baking sheet.
- Spread tomato sauce over top of muffin.
- Top with cheese.
- Sprinkle fresh basil and tomato on top.
- Broil until cheese is brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1/2 muffin (1 snack size pizza)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
10 g protein
6 g fat
3 g sat. fat
15 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
16 mg cholesterol
239 mg sodium
227 mg calcium
1 mg iron
1 carbohydrate exchange
B Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider trying different toppings for a variety of flavors.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.