Note: This recipe is especially for kids with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 11/2 c. hash browns
- 11/2 c. egg whites
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. red pepper, chopped
- 1 c. broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 c. light cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. margarine
- Preheat broiler.
- Wrap handle of skillet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In skillet, sauté vegetables and hash browns in 1 tbsp. light margarine over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Spread hash browns and vegetables evenly in skillet.
- Pour egg whites into skillet over the hash browns and vegetables.
- Cook until eggs are almost set.
- Top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.
Serving size: 1/4 of 10" skillet
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
14 g protein
11 g fat
4 g sat. fat
22 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
8 mg cholesterol
308 mg sodium
205 mg calcium
2.3 mg iron
11/2 carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use any veggies you have, either fresh or frozen (thawed first). Add 1/2 cup of leftover ham, chicken, or turkey to increase the amount of protein.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.