Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This great appetizer or snack can easily be frozen into individual servings that can be reheated at a later time.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. pork sausage, raw
- 3/4 c. all purpose baking mix
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped finely
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form mixture into 1 inch (21/2 centimeters) balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Center temperature of the sausage balls must exceed 165º F (73º C).
Serving size: 3 sausage balls
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
12 g protein
23 g fat
571 mg sodium
151 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This dish can easily be frozen before or after you cook it. Make some today and freeze half of the batch to serve at a later date.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.