Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance. Teens with lactose intolerance often need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. This fat free and lactose free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. long grain rice, uncooked
3 tbsp. jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
2 c. vegetable broth
3/4 tsp. cumin
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
salt to taste (optional)
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapenos, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
0 g fat
0 g sat fat
27 g carbohydrate
0 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
384 mg sodium
8 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapenos. If you think this is too spicy, then put in only 1 tbsp. jalapenos. Serve with beans or meat.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.