Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF). Teens with CF often need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This dish can be eaten for any meal of the day. And it freezes well!
Prep time: 60 minutes
- 9" pie crust
- 6 eggs
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. broiled/pan-fried bacon
- Preheat oven to 425º F (218º C).
- Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Stir cheese into egg mixture.
- Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325º F (162º C) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Serving size: 1/8 of pie
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
20 g protein
52 g fat
732 mg sodium
164 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of different cheeses. Try adding some vegetables, such as onions or spinach.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2016 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.