Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This is a great appetizer or snack. It can easily be frozen into individual servings that can be reheated at a later time.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. pork sausage, raw
- 3/4 c. all purpose baking mix
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form mixture into 1" balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Center temperature of the sausage balls must exceed 165º F (73º C).
Serving size: 3 sausage balls
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
12 g protein
23 g fat
571 mg sodium
151 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This dish can easily be frozen before or after you cook it. Make some today and freeze half of the batch to serve at a later date.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.