Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF). Teens with CF often need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This mashed potatoes recipe is untraditional - and delicious! It's also packed with plenty of calcium to maximize bone density.
Prep time: 45 minutes
4 c. prepared instant potatoes
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. sour cream
3/4 c. parmesan cheese
9 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
1/4 c. onion, chopped finely
salt and pepper, to taste
1 clove of garlic
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
3 slices bacon, crumbled
1 c. dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place potato mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- To make the topping, place the melted butter, parmesan cheese, bacon, and bread crumbs in another bowl and mix well.
- Spread topping mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
13 g protein
23 g fat
268 mg calcium
724 mg sodium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.