Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This mashed potatoes recipe is untraditional — and delicious! It's also packed with plenty of calcium to maximize bone density.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 4 c. prepared instant potatoes
- 11/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 3/4 c. parmesan cheese
- 9 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1/4 c. onion, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 c. dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place potato mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- To make the topping, place the melted butter, parmesan cheese, bacon, and bread crumbs in another bowl and mix well.
- Spread topping mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
13 g protein
23 g fat
268 mg calcium
724 mg sodium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.