Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This is a quick and easy high-calorie meal for your next barbecue.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 3 oz. ground beef
- 2 oz. ground sausage
- 1 tbsp. onion, chopped
- 2 slices (2 oz.) cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 hamburger bun
- grill (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- mixing bowl
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first three ingredients in a bowl.
- Form one patty about 1 inch thick.
- Grill patty about 5 inches from coals, about 6 minutes per side, until cooked throughout.
- Top cooked patty with cheddar cheese about 30 seconds before removing from the grill.
- Put bacon on top of the burger.
- Place the bacon cheeseburger into a hamburger bun.
Serving size: 1 burger patty
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
66 g fat
52 g protein
1703 mg sodium
485 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on the ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Be sure to add your favorite condiments, such as mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, or barbecue sauce to provide additional taste and calories.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.