Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This creamy chicken dish has a wonderful taste of bacon and garlic.
Prep time: 1 hour
- 2 4-oz. chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 thick slices of bacon
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Pour melted butter and minced garlic in the baking dish.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each piece of chicken.
- Put mushrooms on top of the chicken and bacon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove baking dish from the oven and put cheddar cheese on top of the chicken.
- Return baking dish to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove chicken and place on a platter. Pour juices from baking dish into small saucepan and whisk together with cream over low heat until thickened.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
60 g fat
30 g protein
1217 mg sodium
139 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with a creamy pasta dish or Scalloped Potatoes.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.