Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF). Kids with CF often need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This creamy chicken dish has a wonderful taste of bacon and garlic.
Prep time: 1 hour
- 2 4-oz. chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 thick slices of bacon
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Pour melted butter and minced garlic in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each piece of chicken.
- Put mushrooms on top of the chicken and bacon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove baking dish from the oven and put cheddar cheese on top of the chicken.
- Return baking dish to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove chicken and place on a platter. Pour juices from baking dish into small saucepan and whisk together with cream over low heat until thickened.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
60 g fat
30 g protein
1217 mg sodium
139 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with a creamy pasta dish or scalloped potatoes.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.