Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 c. walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. fettucine, cooked
- food processor (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stirring spoon
- mixing bowl
- Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor.
- Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth.
- Mix in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the pesto to a small jar. (Pesto can be prepared 3 days in advance. Pour enough olive oil over sauce to cover. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream.
- Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan in large bowl.
- Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
Serving size: 11/2 c.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
62 g fat
334 mg sodium
471 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chicken or shrimp to this dish for added protein.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.