Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This dish is packed with calories and can be served as a meal or with vegetables.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 c. high-calorie mashed potatoes, prepared
- 1/3 c. sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 1/3 c. onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 c. beef gravy
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- skillet (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- baking dish or oven-safe bowls
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Sauté mushrooms, garlic, and onions until tender, approximately 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cook beef until brown in skillet over medium heat, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, gravy, carrot, Worcestershire, and marjoram.
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into a small baking dish or two oven-safe bowls.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 11/4 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
34 g protein
72 g fat
931 mg sodium
111 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.