Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This breakfast is packed with calories and protein to provide a significant amount of energy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 2 small cooked sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1/2 flour tortilla, cut into 1" squares
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped vegetables (onions and green or red peppers)
- 2 tsp. butter
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and heavy whipping cream with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add cooked sausage, tortillas, cheese, and chopped vegetables to the egg mixture and stir until blended.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add egg mixture to skillet.
- As the eggs begin to set, stir the eggs slightly so that the uncooked portion flows to the bottom.
- Cook until the eggs are no longer runny, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cayenne pepper to taste.
Serving size: 11/2 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
28 g protein
43 g fat
901 mg sodium
316 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with toast and lots of butter.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: March 2009
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.