Sanford Health nursing assistant FAQs
The following information is applicable to our Fargo location only
Does Sanford Health offer CNA training?
Sanford Health is beginning a partnership with North Dakota State College of Science trainNDSoutheast to provide certified nurse assistant training. Applications are being accepted for those interested in full-time employment at Sanford. Current employees may speak to their manager if interested in the course.
Do I have to be certified to work as a Sanford Health nurses assistant?
Rehabilitation and transitional care are the only departments that are required to hire certified nursing assistants. If you are interested in working with home health, they prefer you meet the registry requirements of a home health aide. You need not be certified to work in other nursing units in the Sanford Health.
Who certifies nursing assistants?
The State Department of Health certifies nursing assistants after you finish a training program and pass a certification exam.
What are the requirements to qualify for the certification exam?
You must successfully complete a training program approved by the State Department of Health with a minimum of 75 hours of training, which includes a minimum of 16 hours supervised practical hands-on experience, as well as an approved competency evaluation.
What if I have certification in other states?
You can contact the State Department of Health to verify your certification and obtain another certification in another state.
What do I need to do if I am not certified?
If you are hired at Sanford Health as a nursing assistant, you will be asked to complete a registry application. It requires a fee and the signature of your supervisor verifying that you are competent to be registered as an unlicensed assistive personnel.
What training programs are available in Fargo?
- Skills & Technology Training Center-1305 19th Ave. (701) 231-6900
- Bethany Homes-4255 30th Ave. S. (701) 478-8900
- Fargo Adult Learning Center-315 North University Dr. (701) 446-2806
What training programs are available in Moorhead?
- Eventide Lutheran Home-1405 South 7th St (218) 233-7508
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Custom Training-1110 14th St. S (218) 299-6576
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College-1900 28th Ave. S (877) 450-3322
Will Sanford cover any of the cost for training?
In the new partnership with trainNDSoutheast Sanford Health will assume the cost of the course and one attempt of the certification exam.
Other contact options:
- ND Department of Health (701) 328-2352
- Training Programs in North Dakota
- ND Department of Health – Cindy Kupfer Ckupfer@nd.gov (701) 328-2353
- Testing/Certification Requirements for ND – email@example.com (701) 328-9788
- Registry Information – NDBON
- Minnesota Department of Health (651) 201-5000
- South Dakota Department of Health (605) 773-3361
- Training Programs in South Dakota
Who can answer other Health Care Career questions?
Kate Steinke, Coordinator of Student Experiences Sanford Health (701) 234-5881