Sanford Health nursing assistant FAQs
The following information is applicable to our Fargo location only
Does Sanford Health offer CNA training?
We do not offer certified nursing assistant courses.
Do I have to be certified to work as a Sanford Health nurses assistant?
Rehabilitation and transitional care are the only departments that are required to hire certified nursing assistants. If you are interested in working with home health, they prefer you meet the registry requirements of a home health aide. You need not be certified to work in other nursing units in the Sanford Health.
Who certifies nursing assistants?
The State Department of Health certifies nursing assistants after you finish a training program and pass a certification exam.
What are the requirements to qualify for the certification exam?
You must successfully complete a training program approved by the State Department of Health with a minimum of 75 hours of training, which includes a minimum of 16 hours supervised practical hands-on experience, as well as an approved competency evaluation.
What if I have certification in other states?
You can contact the State Department of Health to verify your certification and obtain another certification in another state.
What do I need to do if I am not certified?
If you are hired at Sanford Health as a nursing assistant, you will be asked to complete a registry application. It requires a fee and the signature of your supervisor verifying that you are competent to be registered as an unlicensed assistive personnel.
What training programs are available in Fargo?
- Fargo Adult Learning Center-315 North University Dr. (701) 446-2806
- Skills & Technology Training Center-1305 19th Ave. (701) 231-6900
- Elim Care Center-3534 University Dr. S. (701) 271-1800
- Bethany Homes-4255 30th Ave. S. (701) 478-8900
What training programs are available in Moorhead?
- Eventide Lutheran Home-1405 South 7th St (218) 233-7508
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Custom Training-1110 14th St. S (218) 299-6576
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College-1900 28th Ave. S (877) 450-3322
Will Sanford cover any of the cost for training?
Sanford Health does not cover the cost of training, as it is not a requirement to be certified to work as a nursing assistant. Tuition assistance is only available for courses at the undergraduate or graduate level that are health-care related, leading up to a degree in a health-related field, or directly related to the employee's position after 12-month employment with manager approval.
Fargo CNA programs information:
- Fargo Adult Learning Center
Offered every month, year round
$450 tuition + $110 state testing fee = total $410
Registration is onsite. Testing for CNA is arranged for those participating in the Fargo adult nursing assistant program.
- Skills & Technology Training Center
$100.00 non-refundable deposit required upon registration.
Test fee is $110.00
Moorhead CNA Training Program Information:
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College Custom Training Services
Call/contact custom training services for more information.
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College
Nursing assistant home health aide course; 4 credits; enrollment is limited based on space available.
Other contact options:
- ND Department of Health (701) 328-2352
- Training Programs in North Dakota
- ND Department of Health – Cindy Kupfer Ckupfer@nd.gov (701) 328-2353
- Testing/Certification Requirements for ND – email@example.com (701) 328-9788
- Registry Information – NDBON
- Minnesota Department of Health (651) 201-5000
- South Dakota Department of Health (605) 773-3361
- Training Programs in South Dakota
Who can answer other Health Care Career questions?
Kate Steinke, Coordinator of Student Experiences Sanford Health (701) 234-5881